MOVIE NIGHT INSTANT SCREENING: Nevermind Citizen Kane… Here’s SWAMP APE!
It’s a real shame that Hollywood dismisses independent filmmakers because they’re not rich, elitist or “pretty” as them with their shitty facelifts and sag-away boob jobs. Any filmmaker worth a shit will tell you that it takes plenty of grit, know how and passion to tell a good story on zero budget utilizing art’s most expensive canvas.
The film Swamp Ape accomplishes to tell an outstanding monster story made on less than a shoestring budget. Director and founder of Hollyward Films Geoff Ward bleeds cinematic passion and is not shy to publicly be his own worst critic but this exposes something lost on Hollywood – humility.
Swamp Ape was my pick for film of the year for 2016 and it wasn’t because of special effects or A-list actors — it was because Swamp Ape’s the most entertaining monster movie since Gremlins 2. I was humbled and surprised when the filmmakers decided to add TuffGnarl.com to the thank you section as the credits rolled. Florida should be proud of this film. This is our movie. Far, far away from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood and deep into the realm of our own twisted South Florida psyche.
The outpouring of support is starting to show as Hollyward’s Youtube channel now has more than 100,000 subscribers. Ward celebrated the occasion by showing off his plaque from Youtube. Mazel tov Geoff! Here’s to Swamp Ape 2!
Latest posts by Chuck Livid (see all)
- Another Music Podcast Episode 317 – Hurricane Party - May 9, 2018
- T.G. EXCLUSIVE: The Wombombs – “Fukushima Fishnets” Music Video & Interview - March 23, 2018
- Another Music Podcast Episode 315 – The Shakers - December 31, 2017
- Another Music Podcast Episode 303 – Joanna Angel - November 8, 2017
- Another Music Podcast Episode 314 – Chris May (The Hanging Judge) - October 17, 2017